music 08-22-06

8.22.2006
At gun point, I would have to confess..."alfie" and "everything must change" are probably the two best written songs of all time. Through all my years of listening to music, these two songs to this day still get me every time I listen to them. Last year for shits and giggles I sought out as many tracks as I could find of artists who covered "alfie"; I think the final count was something like 19 different performers.

tonight, I also happened to stumble on a cover of "everything must change" recorded live by jazz great randy crawford. Not long after the first listen, I just sat here and played it over and over for some 40 minutes. Like Ella, Randy makes the song her own. Her rendition speaks for itself, experience it. Shazam, I hunting tracks from others as I write.... A few good mentions so far: oleta adams, james ingram).

on tonight's musical journey I also heard a new track from annie lennox "hush, hush, hush" who appears as a guest vocalist on a herbie hancock cd. Yes, another cover but as only she could craft. I'm still counting the nights without a new full length lennox project to drift away with...

till next time...

0 comments: